Blog Archive

Thursday, August 11, 2011

The District of Columbia

Sorry bout the delay Paul Cunnigham, I know you've been waiting. By the way I put no effort into this whatsoever, but it is entertaining and informative, so do read on. Oh you might be better off right clicking the links and opening them in a new tab!! Shout out to the bigmen!

So thus far we have been to Davenport, Naples, Statesboro, Jascksonville, Orlando, Charlotte, Savannagh and covered 4 states - Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina.

Now we move on to DC. As I mentioned before, I arrived to DC by train, and It was pretty Epic!
Once I got in I was picked up at the airport by the guy who got me the two jobs and he brought me straight to a place where he had organized for me to stay, aaaand had already payed the rent for me. Sound!!!
He told me he had an interview for me in a restaurant the next day and as an intern two days later. Wow
this was a huge change from the lazing around I did before!!

So I get the two jobs no bother. The Job in the bar was as a host. I basically greeted and seated people.
And the second job is an Internship with a small IT firm. The next day I get word that I have both jobs and that I'll be working monday to friday in DC and Friday Saturday and Sunday in Virginia. So as the beatles would say Click here. So both jobs started off great I was on time most days and quite productive, but after working 35 days straight I started to tire and question what I was doing. Low and behold I was shafted by the Cork owner of the Bar and told it wasnt working out. Happy days. I now had my weekends back. A few things happened in those 6 weeks like seeing my first ever superbowl ring and going to baseball games with the staff plus plentiful nights out in DC with the company!! Sure my second day on the job I was given the task of attending the buildings rooftop party and having as much free drink as I could. This is the life, I said to myself after about 10 beers. But the morning after was tough. I was in the beets and had to travel 50 mins to get into work. 1 walk + 1 Bus = 1 Train. Not good. And I had to move out of the place I was in because it was reserved for someone like me by the guy that got me the job. Next in line as the say in Germany. So I find this place that I have to meet the owner between jobs to get the keys and I end up being late for work so he gives me a ride to work in his red mustang!! I arrived in Style that day. So I'd moved in with another IT guy and a handyman. Both of whom were nice but I wouldnt go for drinks with them to save me life. SO most of the time I'd be going out with the CEO of the IT company or the servers in the bar. Always good craic. The CEO would bring us to the exclusive places in DC like rooftop bars overlooking the whitehouse See here, or VIP sections in the big clubs and secluded bars where you might see one or two celebs depending on whats going on.

Anyway, after I focused full time on the IT job things were going well. I was doing great in work and partying it up all the time. The only thing was I lived 40 mins away so I was paying $200 just to commute to work, not to mention late night taxis. I sometimes stayed over in a friends house or a girls house which is so much better than going home then coming straight back in for work the next day. Something had to give. So I told my landlord that I had to move out and I commenced my search for a place in the city. After looking for a whole month I had nothing, i'd been to view places and got nowhere. But then I found this place in Columbia Heights, loads of people applied and the had to choose from a lot of people. I'll let you know who they chose next time cause I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

I'd watched the Heineken Cup final in an Irish Pub called fado in Chinatown. What a game. But we all know that. There was loads of Mary's lads there so it was good craic watching the rugby with the lads!
I met a girl at a networking event and we went to the rooftop of the tallest building in DC there was nothing up there but a bench and an amazing view The photo is here. I almost didnt need to use the charm. She was also so kind as to bring me to the Air and space museum and plan a trip to the Zoo which I had to bail on. (Sorry) I know that she's reading this btw. Hi! I'm too tired to talk about New York or the White water rafting or even the road trip. Guess I'll have to write about them some other time.

Anyway Peace out.

No comments:

Post a Comment